Piercings have been a form of body modification for thousands of years, with cultural significance and personal expression. Today, piercings are more popular than ever, with various options.
You should consider a few things when deciding to get a piercing. First things first, you need to choose the location of your desired piercing. While the ears are a popular choice, many other body parts can also be pierced and numerous options once you have settled on a particular area.
Continue reading this piece to familiarize yourself with the various types of piercings available, including their placement, healing process, and style.
Ear piercings are the most common and versatile type of piercing. They include:
- Lobe Piercing: Lobe piercing is the most basic and widespread. It is performed on the soft, fleshy part of the earlobe and has a quick healing process.
- Helix Piercing: The helix piercing is placed on the ear’s upper cartilage. It is a popular choice for those seeking a subtle yet stylish look.
- Tragus Piercing: Located in the small flap of cartilage just in front of the ear canal, the tragus piercing adds a unique touch to the ear’s overall appearance.
Daith Piercing: Situated in the innermost fold of cartilage above the ear canal, the daith piercing has gained popularity for its aesthetic appeal.
Industrial Piercing: An industrial piercing involves connecting two holes in the upper ear cartilage with a single barbell, creating an edgy look.
Facial piercings can be bold and eye-catching, distinctively enhancing one’s features:
- Nose Piercing: Nose piercings come in various styles, including nostril piercings and septum piercings, each offering a different aesthetic and healing process.
- Eyebrow Piercing: Positioned above or below the eyebrow, this piercing is a striking way to accentuate the eyes and express individuality.
- Lip Piercing: Lip piercings are incredibly diverse, with options like labrets, Monroe/Madonna, Medusa/Philtrum, and snake bites, providing various placement possibilities.
- Cheek Piercing: Cheek piercings involve placing jewelry through the cheek’s soft tissue, offering a unique and eye-catching appearance.
- Tongue Piercing: Tongue piercings are popular for their potential to provide a subtle or bold statement, depending on jewelry choice and placement.
Body piercings are both fashionable and meaningful, often chosen to complement the body’s natural contours:
- Navel Piercing: Navel piercings, also known as belly button piercings, are popular for those looking to draw attention to their midsection.
- Nipple Piercing: Nipple piercings can be done on both men and women, offering a bold and sensual option for body adornment.
- Surface Piercing: Surface piercings lie flat against the body’s surface, offering a unique and artistic appearance rather than going through a traditional entry and exit point.
- Dermal Piercing: Dermal piercings, or microdermals, involve anchoring a single bead or charm to the skin’s surface, creating a stunning effect.
- Genital Piercing: Genital piercings come in various types, each catering to different anatomy and aesthetics. They are a deeply personal and intimate form of body modification.
Oral piercings are placed within the mouth, providing a distinctive way to showcase individuality:
- Oral Lip Piercing: Similar to lip piercings, oral lip piercings are placed through the lip but inside the mouth, offering a subtle look with less visible jewelry.
- Oral Tongue Piercing: Tongue piercings are placed directly through the tongue muscle, offering the possibility of various jewelry styles and placements.
- Labret Piercing: Labret piercings are located just below the lower lip, offering a classic and popular choice for oral piercings.
The world of piercings is vast and diverse, providing numerous options for personal expression and style. Whether you prefer subtle ear piercings, striking facial piercings, or bold body piercings, it is essential to research each type carefully, choose a reputable and professional piercer, and follow proper aftercare to ensure a successful and healthy piercing experience.